I became a mom when I was only 16! Yes it’s crazy, it was so not your typical teenagers life! Being a mom is the hardest job ever, and being a single young mom with two kids is even harder! Don’t get me wrong, I’m truly blessed and I love being a mom and can’t ever imagine my life any other way!
yes it is very challenging but it’s also very rewarding in so many ways, and my favorite is the unconditional LOVE.
I have two teens, Adam is 14 and Jenna is 13 both of which are completely from different worlds.
Entering teenage hood is a challenge for both kids and mother, you can never be prepared enough!
Have you ever asked yourself how you keep it all together and still maintain your sanity?
I have!! It’s ok to lose control every now and then. I definitely had my ugly moments where I had to leave right now and then just to cry alone! Or even those days when I felt lost about my parenting skills and just wanted to stay in bed all day! Or those times when I questioned myself if i could have done more!
It’s ok! It’s normal and that’s simply motherhood!
I can sum up what I have learned so far in a few
– Educate yourself as much as you can. Read, search and ask for advice but after all that, do what you think is truly right for your kids and yourself.
– Listen to your kids no matter how crazy they may sound.
– Talk to your kids about everything and don’t ever think that it’s not important or that they are too young, or whether they won’t understand or think why should I bother talking!
If your kids don’t want to talk or open up, then create other ways to communicate. Write letters or text or make short videos if you need to communicate about something sensitive.
– Put yourself in their place, try to understand how they would feel about certain situations.
– Be their role model.
– Let them make their own choices.
– Let them make mistakes, they will learn.
– Encourage them at all times.
– Don’t shout because they won’t listen, they will just shut down.
– Have family meetings. Talk about family matters, bad behavior, roles and so on
– Let them have the right to negotiate on allowance, extra pocket money, curfews and chores.
– Always teach them ethics, morals, values and respect. Therefore, they SHINE.
Most importantly, don’t forget your passions. Remember what excites you, Remember to nurture all parts of yourself so that you truly can ROCK at being a healthy, happy mom!